Skip to main content

Knaves Death & Dismemberment, Improved

In Knaves, fancypants, I included a Death & Dismemberment table. In play, however, I haven't much liked it. So, here's what I think might be a more fun version of same:

When a character reaches 0 hit points or fewer, roll 1d6 and 1d4.

  • The d6 determines which attribute is affected.
  • Subtract the 1d4 from the attribute affected. 
  • If this drops the affected attribute to 10/0, you are dead. Roll a new weirdo.
  • If not, you have an injury that takes up one Item Slot. 
  • The player, in consultation with the referee, gets to make up what the injury is. Could be you lost a leg, or developed a phobia, or picked up the clap.
  • Attribute points lost can be recuperated via advancement, or, if your ref is generous, through other means (you get a clever prosthetic, say, or the Ogre Pope blesses you), but you never get that Item Slot back. The old wound will weigh on you, always.
  • If you want higher lethality, increase the d4 to a d6. 
This is simpler and easily remembered. It's more fatal (the old table made it pretty hard to actually snuff it). But the effect I really hope this has is to make a player care more about the wounded character. The old table just made your character crappier, and I could see players lose interest in the characters after they had been injured. With this table, I hope, there is a feeling of elation in rolling low enough on the d4 that it didn't kill you outright. And I like giving the players a chance to decide how their characters are injured. Although we'll see if this results in a preponderance of dramatically sexy scars across one eye.

Damn these hideous, sexy scars.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knave 2e Alternate Attributes

Sometimes, I'm exactly in the mood for the classic simplicity of defining characters entirely by D&D's six attributes, as Knave does. But sometimes, I want the players have have just a little smidge more to fiddle with.

Lasers & Feelings, RetroRocket

 Necro-Cavaliers of the Astral Galaxy reminded me of just how much fun John Harper's Lasers and Feelings is. So I made a hack. Like so many others have. There's no new titular dichotomy for my hack, even though lasers aren't so much a part of the 30's era, Buck Rogers-style, planetary romances I wanted to emulate. Something like "Rockets & Romance" would have been entirely genre appropriate, but there's no improving on the geek poetry of declaring "I rolled LaserFeelings!" Anyway, I hope you like it. Let me know if you play it! LASERS & FEELINGS, RETROROCKET (pdf) Here's some of my previous noodlings along the same retro-futuristic lines: Ray Guns Food Pills Strange Powers An Exaltation of Rockets